General practice is one of the most diverse areas of medicine in which to practice. There are many benefits to working in general practice, including:
- Being part of individuals’ and families’ lives
- Having a sense of community
- Intellectually stimulating work
- Experiencing a range of patient presentations
- Being the first to diagnose
- Providing holistic care
- Opportunities to work or specialise in a range of areas including public health, Indigenous health, mental health treatment, sports medicine and minor surgery
- The chance to provide immediate and long-term treatment.
We have many real-life GP stories from our medical educators on our website to inspire you. We encourage you to read them as they share the many reasons why they love being a GP.